A lot of millennials today want everything to be fast and efficient. There’s no time to waste. Whether it’s buying a cute dress, or ordering their favorite pizza. Everything should be delivered and paid in an instant.
Credit cards might be able to offer you this need. A lot of merchants today are already accepting credit cards in the Philippines. All you have to do is swipe your card or enter your card number online and, voila! There’s no need to bring your cash or deposit money in the bank.
However, if you are a young millennial who just graduated from college, you might find it hard to secure one. Most banks in the Philippines are still very strict with their requirements. A lot of them would require you to have a stable job, not to mention the amount of paperwork that they would want you to fill out can be a challenge. The whole process can be tedious for someone who just got a job and has no credit history yet. So is there hope for young millennials?
The answer is a big YES! Fortunately, there are various credit card substitutes that you can easily get today. These products will allow you to shop cashless without going through a lengthy process of proving that you are creditworthy.
Recently, the two biggest telecommunication firms in the Philippines made great efforts to promote each of their e-wallets. Unlike before, these two platforms now have actual cards that you can use anywhere. They offer the benefits of having a credit card or an ATM card but with extra features. You can access your account using the platform’s smartphone App, making them perfect for millennials who are always on-the-go.
Globe telecoms have done their best to offer the convenience that millennials and freelancers need today. They partnered with foreign companies like Paypal and American Express so that users will enjoy more benefits using their Gcash App and Card. Today, you will be able to shop, book movie tickets, pay your bills, and even use your e-wallet to pay for flights. This platform really went all out for its users.
- Buy phone credits
- Use it to shop online or offline using the QR code or the Mastercard feature.
- Pay utility bills, credit card bills, and government bills.
- Send money to your loved ones.
- Transfer Paypal money.
- Withdraw your money through any BancNet or Mastercard ATM
- Book your movie tickets in advance using the Gcash App.
- EMV Mastercard
How To Get A Gcash Account
- Download the Gcash App through the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Register using your real personal details. Make sure that there are no typographical errors or incorrect spellings.
- You will be asked to use a 4-digit Pin number to secure your account.
- The registration is absolutely free. Just wait for Gcash’s confirmation text.
- You can go to any Globe store to get a Gcash Mastercard so that you can use it as a credit card when you’re shopping.
Loading Your Account
In order to use your Gcash account and enjoy the perks of this e-wallet, you have to deposit cash. Compared with traditional savings or debit cards, it’s a lot easier to put money into your Gcash account. Here are some of the outlets or services that you can use to fund your account:
- 7-eleven stores
- Pawnshops ( Cebuana Lhuillier, Tambunting, Villarica)
- Department Stores (SM, Robinsons, Puregold)
- Globe Store
- Bayad Center
- Online Banking (BPI, RCBC, UNIONBANK, Mastercard/Visa Debit cards)
- AUB, Maybank, Metrobank, PBCOM, PSBank
- Western Union
Just like Gcash, Paymaya offers an actual Mastercard for its users. This product is under Smart Communications, Inc., and offers a virtual card and an actual card. It’s also great for those who want to shop without any hassle. Smart partnered with various merchants around the country so that Paymaya users can maximize the use of this platform. Here are the things that you’ll get if you get a Paymaya account.
- Online shopping using your virtual Visa card or Mastercard.
- Book flights
- Buy your movie tickets and skip the long lines.
- Pay your bills
- Use the card or the QR feature to pay for shopping in the malls or any merchant that accepts Paymaya transactions.
- Paymaya for Businesses
- Send and receive money
- Buy load
How To Get A PayMaya Account
- Download the Paymaya App through the App Store or Play Store.
- Wait for the verification code sent via SMS.
- You can connect your card using the app as well.
- Through the app, users will be able to designate a 6-digit pin for the card and use it to withdraw money.
PayMaya’s Loading Partners
Paymaya also has an extensive list of partners that you can go to when you want to reload or put money in your account. Here are some of them.
- Bayad Center
- Circle K
- Gaisano Capital
- Global Access
- Palawan Pawnshop
- RD Pawnshop
- Robinsons Department Store
- Smart Communications Inc.
- Smart Money
- Smart Padala
- The SM Store
Comparison Of Gcash And PayMaya
When you compare these two platforms side by side, you won’t notice a lot of differences. They are both very easy to use, have a smartphone that you can access anytime and they both have a Mastercard that works like an ATM and a credit card at the same time.
However, Gcash might have a slight advantage compared to PayMaya because it has a Gcredit feature which allows users to shop or pay bills even if they don’t have balance in their accounts. It’s like having an invisible credit card at the palm of your hands. You can simply scan the QR code of the merchant and then pay for the amount later. Users can have a credit limit of up to 30,000 pesos and a monthly interest rate of 5%.
Overall, Gcash and PayMaya are both amazing credit card substitutes for those who are still struggling to get their credit card applications approved. Millennials who also prefer hassle free transactions, but are still not ready for the responsibility of having a credit card, will enjoy these two platforms. Since they have very similar features, choosing which one to use can depend on which company you’re more comfortable with, as well as the accessibility of their merchant partners in your area.