The word best is subjective when choosing a credit card. What’s best for you may not be the best option for others. That’s why selecting one isn’t easy. Your spending habits are major considerations as you compare the cards and their features. You also want to know the reward types and benefits you can get.
Some credit cards have waived annual fees, and the service charges vary from one issuer to another — all of which can make a big difference. Applying for a credit card is a privilege, a responsibility, and an opportunity.
- The privilege is that you enjoy the perks and rewards.
- The responsibility comes from paying your dues on time.
- The opportunity is there for you to build a good credit history.
|Credit Card||Minimum Annual Income||Annual Fee|
|AUB Gold Mastercard||₱600,000||Waived for life|
|BPI Amore Visa||₱180,000||₱2,050|
|Citi Rewards Card||₱250,000||₱2,500|
|Citi Simplicity+ Card||₱180,000||Waived for life|
|EastWest Bank Visa Platinum||₱480,000||₱2,750|
|EastWest Dolce Vita Titanium Mastercard||₱300,000||₱2,000|
|HSBC Red Mastercard||₱200,000||₱1,500|
|Metrobank M Free Mastercard||₱180,000||Waived for life|
|RCBC Bankard Flex Visa||₱180,000||₱1,500|
|UnionBank Lazada Credit Card||₱360,000||₱3,000|
AUB Gold Mastercard: Flexible due dates
The unique feature of this credit card is that it allows you to choose your due date from 1st to the 30th day of the month to match your exact payday.
The annual fee is waived for life — that’s an enticing offer. Some banks only waive the first year, and then you pay the second year.
Aside from the flexible due dates, you can also:
- Earn reward points for every ₱20 you spend.
- Redeem points and transfer them to Mabuhay Miles frequent flyer program.
- Convert AUB points into Cebu Pacific GetGo points or AirAsia Big Rewards points.
- Enjoy flexible installment payment options for a minimum purchase of ₱5,000.
- Choose when to pay your due, which can be your payday.
BPI Amore Visa: Multiple installment options
This cashback credit card lets you earn 4% on supermarket purchases, 1% on drug stores and utilities, and 0.30% on other spending categories. The annual fee costs ₱2,050, and it’s only waived for the first year.
For your big-ticket items, you can take advantage of the 0% installment, Buy, Now Pay Later, when you shop with merchant partners. This means you can convert straight purchases into installments without interest, which will only be charged after three months.
Other features of this card worth listing:
- Enjoy unlimited access to Ayala Malls’ family and customer lounges.
- Convert credit limit to cash and pay it in installments for up to 36 months.
- Earn up to ₱15,000 worth of cashback annually.
Citi Rewards Visa: 3X rewards points
This rewards card lets you earn 3X points for shopping and dining transactions and 1 point for other spending categories. Use your non-expiry points to redeem cash credits, merchandise, and gadgets. You may also use them to pay for purchases at partner merchants.
Aside from earning rewards points, you can also:
- Access fast cash loans via the Citi mobile app.
- Pay merchants or send money to other banks with Citi PayAll using your credit.
- Lock and unlock your card to secure your transactions.
- Convert big-ticket items into installments from 3 to 6 months via Citi PayLite.
- Enjoy waived annual fee for life if you apply from now until November 30, 2022.
Citi Simplicity+ Card Visa: Waived annual fee for life
This credit card offers a waived annual fee for life, 10% interest back, and no late payment fees. You earn the interest back if you pay at least the minimum amount due on or before the due date. This is ideal for first-time credit cardholders looking for an entry-level card.
Other features you will enjoy while using this credit card:
- No overlimit fees when you max out your credit limit.
- Access Citi Speed Cash via Citi Mobile app if you need extra cash.
- Convert big purchases into smaller payments with Citi PayLite.
- Enjoy deals and discounts on local and overseas establishments in over 90 countries.
EastWest Bank Visa Platinum: Cash rewards on purchases
This credit card offers 3% cashback or cash rewards on shopping and dining transactions. You also earn 0.3% on other spending categories such as fuel, utilities, and travel.
You’re also entitled to get free comprehensive travel insurance of up to ₱20 million if you use your card to book local and overseas fares via air, land, and sea travel.
Other features include:
- Add up to nine supplementary cards and assign a monthly sub-limit for each card.
- Swipe your card in more than 46 million establishments and over 200 countries.
- Borrow up to 70% of your credit limit with the cash advance feature.
- Convert big-ticket items into installments with 0% interest on select merchant partners.
EastWest Dolce Vita Titanium Mastercard: Beauty and wellness card
If you’re into health, wellness, and beauty, this card is perfect for you, whether you love shopping, pampering, or dining. You earn 1 Charm for every ₱100 spend, and you can use your accumulated points to redeem vouchers or purchase merchandise at merchant partners.
Other perks you get from this card:
- Use the cash advance feature and borrow up to 50% of your credit limit.
- Swipe your card when traveling overseas in more than 30 million establishments in over 200 countries.
- Transfer other credit card balances to EastWest Bank and enjoy lighter monthly payments.
HSBC Red Mastercard: Best for shopping, travel, and dining
This credit card offers up to 4X bonus points on online purchasing, shopping, overseas, and dining transactions. For other spending categories, you still learn 1 bonus point for every ₱20 spend.
You earn 6% rebate on your first fuel purchase at any participating Caltex station and 3% on your second purchase all year round.
Other features of this card include:
- Enjoy up to 36 months of 0% installment with the participating merchants and retailers.
- Redeem other items and gift certificates using those bonus points, including air miles.
- Waived annual fee for your first year if you apply from now until December 31, 2022.
- Use balance conversion to pay big-ticket items in installments.
- Access exclusive travel deals and privileges at more than 27,000 establishments in 160 countries.
Metrobank M Free Mastercard: Flexible installment terms
This entry-level credit card is ideal for beginners. It has waived the membership fee for life, and the annual income requirement is only ₱180,000. If you need cash immediately, you can use the Cash2Go feature and borrow against your card limit.
If it’s your first time having a credit card, you can use it to build a good credit history.
Other noteworthy features you need to consider:
- Pay for big purchases in participating merchants with 0% installment program.
- Avail flexible payment terms at 3,6,9,12, 18 and 24 months.
- Request for up to four supplementary cardholders.
- Enroll utility bills with Bill2Pay so you won’t miss your due dates.
RCBC Bankard Flex Visa: Earn points faster
This credit card lets you earn 2x rewards points in two preferred categories. Choose from the four categories: clothing, traveling, dining, and transportation. For example, for this cycle, you earn points from clothing and traveling. Switch to another pair of categories the following cycle according to your spending habits.
Other features worth considering:
- Exchange your points for cash rebates, shopping vouchers, or cash credit to your account.
- Convert your straight-payment purchases into installments for up to 36 months.
- Consolidate credit cards into one card with RCBC Balance Transfer.
- Get free travel insurance and purchase protection on your next trip.
UnionBank Lazada Credit Card: A shopper’s favorite
If you love shopping on Lazada, this co-branded credit card will make your day. Earn 6X Lazada credits for every ₱200 spend on Lazada items and bills payments. You earn 1 Lazada credit for other transactions. Upon approval of your application, you can immediately activate your virtual credit card.
You don’t need to wait for the physical card to shop at your favorite stores at Lazada.
- Enjoy waived annual fee for your first year.
- Get your free ₱5,000 worth of Lazada credits when you use the card within 60 days from card approval with your accumulated or straight purchases worth ₱40,000.
- Access exclusive discounts and deals from selected Lazada merchants.
What do you think of our list? Do you have other credit cards in mind that should be included here? Tell us in the comments section.